QuickLink Plugin for Movable Type
Note to MT4 Users: This plugin has been updated for Movable Type 4.x and renamed to AutoLink.
Note to MT3 Users: This plugin is no longer supported and is looking for a maintainer. If you are interested in taking over the development of this plugin, please contact Byrne.
QuickLink is a plugin for MovableType which allows users to manage a set of words for which they would like links automatically generated. For example, suppose I write about Web services a lot in my blog, and I wished that every time I wrote the word "SOAP" that MT would automatically link that word to http://w3c.org/TR/SOAP? QuickLink allows me to do just that. And each blog owner is allowed to manage their own list of QuickLinks.
Features & Benefits
- Use regular expressions to take complete control over what and how links are generated.
- Generate links for all occurences of a string, or for just the first one.
- Perform case sensitive or insensitive matching.
- Automatically generate links to your favorite Wiki for all CamelCase words.
- README.txt - Installation instructions, prequisite information, etc.
The latest version of QuickLink can be found at the following URL:
The following prerequisites must be met in order for BookQueueToo to work.
- User has MovableType 3.x (highly recommended)
- User has HTML::Template installed
- User has Storable installed
- To install QuickLink in Unix, execute the following commands:
> tar zxvf QuickLink-1.04.tar.gz
> cp -a QuickLink-1.04 $MT_HOME/plugins/QuickLinkWhere $MT_HOME is where you have MovableType (mt.cgi) installed.
- Login to MovableType and confirm that QuickLink is appeariing as an "Active Plugin" at the bottom of the page (only valid for MT 3.x users).
- To begin editing your QuickLinks, navigate to the main menu for a specific blog. At the bottom of the page you should see a link that says "Edit Your QuickLinks." Click on that, and you should be good to go.
FTP Based Installation
FTP instructions are not too different than Unix-based installation instructions. The only primary diffence is the use of a client to transfer the files. See below to learn more.
- Unpack QuickLink-1.04.tar.gz onto your local machine.
- The resulting directory will be named QuickLink-1.04. Rename that directory to simply QuickLink.
- Using your FTP client of choice, login to your FTP server.
- Traverse to the directory in which mt.cgi is installed.
- Traverse to the plugins directory.
- Transfer in ASCII mode the QuickLink folder, and all of its contents to the plugins directory.
That's it. You should be done. If this doesn't work, please consult the troubleshooting section.
"QuickLink is not showing up in my list of Active Plugins"
One thing you should check is to make sure you have installed QuickLink into a directory names QuickLink and not QuickLink-1.04. This is to make sure that all of the embedded search path resolve to the proper files and folders.
In rare circumstances, the plugin will not show up because of a compilation error of some kind when MT processes and loads the plugin. To determine if this may be the source of your problem, you should consult your web server's error log. If you see a compilation problem, please report the error through regular support channels.
"I keep getting an INTERNALSERVERERROR whenever I try to access QuickLink
Be sure to check your file permissions. mt-quicklink.cgi must have global execute permissions set. Make sure that all directories and other files are readable by your web server user.
As with any problem, check your web server's error log, it often has useful information that can help you debug the problem you are having.